QuickStart will help you set up your new device. Quick Start takes up both devices, so schedule a time when you won’t need to use your existing device for many minutes.
- Turn on your new device and position it next to your old one.
- On your existing device, a screen displays that give you the option of setting up your new device using your Apple ID. Make sure you’re using the Apple ID you want, then press Continue. Make sure Bluetooth is switched on if you don’t see the option to continue on your current device.
- On your new device, wait for an animation to display. Place your old gadget on top of the new one, then center the animation in the viewfinder.
- Wait for the message “Finish on New [Device]” to appear. If you can’t use the camera on your current device, tap Authenticate Manually and follow the onscreen instructions.
- When prompted, enter the passcode for your current device on your new device. Then, on your new smartphone, follow the steps to set up Face ID or Touch ID.
- Tap Continue when you see the Transfer Data from [Handset] page to start moving your data from your old device to your new one. Alternatively, you may choose Other Options to transfer applications, data, and settings from your most recent iCloud backup or a PC backup.